Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: converted class 8 HDT for towing?

Posted By: StirCrazy on 07/30/10 08:01am

I have been looking into different options in preperation for our real retirment in a few years and the bigger fith we want to get.

1)I could buy a new one ton truck and have it pretty much maxed out
2) muy a mdt (sawe a nice one while camping)
3) convert a HDT

so option one is ok, but being maxed out and towing in the big hills it will be simular to what I am doing now, well mostlikely worse. the MDT is nice, but expensive, looking at 130 to 200K for a new one. my buddy, a truck driver, sugessted I get a HTD with 400000ish miles on it and just convert it. said with rv type pulling it would probably last another 20 years and it ends up being by far the cheepest option as you can pick up the truck for 5000 to 25000 at the auctions.

has anyone gone this rout? I am trying to get an idea on what needs to be done aside from removing one of the rear axels and chopping off some of the frame.

also if anyone in Canada has done it I would like to hear how they relicenced it or if they did, especialy in BC.

Steve

Posted By: JabotheHutt on 07/30/10 08:13am

I also having been thinking of this route. Check in to Escapees forum. They have a discussion group that is just for HDT rv'ers, and reference items to look at about converting a HDT.

Jim and Angie
2012 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Longhorn in deep molten red
2006 Montana 3295RK
Wild Montana Skye, Golden Retriever

Posted By: mkirsch on 07/30/10 08:18am

Why does the MDT have to be new, but the HDT can have the better part of half a million miles on it?

What I think is, you really really want that HDT, and you're trying to justify it to yourself . Nothing wrong with that. Get what you want. You deserve it.

There's a guy down in the village who has had an HDT in his driveway for several months now. In that time, he has pulled one of the axles off it and added a flatbed.

It doesn't have a hitch yet so I don't know what his plans are... I gotta figure he's got plans to tow something with it, but not sure what.

You can get around the commercial registration for an HDT if you convert it into an RV. If you can find one with one of those huge sleepers that has a kitchenette and wet bath in it, it qualifies as an RV.

I know they exist because the one and only episode of "Trick My Truck" I have ever seen was about a family living on the road with the Dad because they were otherwise homeless. The sleeper had a bathroom, sink, and stove in it.

2002 Chevy 3500 DRW/8.1/Allison & 2000 Palomino B1500 popup TC

-Yes, I haul a popup with a dually. No, I don't think I need a dually to haul a popup.

Posted By: avan on 07/30/10 08:38am

As suggested, go to the Escapees Forum and cursor down to the MDT (class 5 & 6) forum and the HDT (class 7 & 8) forum. Active forums with many participants and a lot of information on conversions. Pay attention to the 'sticky' topics at the top and many of the HDTers have blogs linked in their sigs about how they converted their HDT, beds, ramps (for their Smart cars), etc. Also if you click on the "Groups & Events" icon at the top of the page and then the "BOF" (birds of a feather) icon on the left of the page that comes up, you will find a MDT group page with links to all kinds of additional information including some good used trucks for sale.

Posted By: routeforty on 07/30/10 08:38am

JabotheHutt wrote:

I also having been thinking of this route. Check in to Escapees forum. They have a discussion group that is just for HDT rv'ers, and reference items to look at about converting a HDT.
I second this-it is rvnetwork.com. Click on the 'discussion forums'(maybe soneone will post a link to it). Then click on the 'HDT forum'. The 3rd sticky-The HDT resource guide will probably have all the info you need (and more than you probably want) there. I spent about 1 1/2 hours last night going over it. Well worth your time to check it out. Gary

'05 chevy 3500, duramax, allison, '00 Coachmen Futura 2790 TT, 35th anniversary edition, 05 lance 1130-stable lift

Posted By: Delaine and Lindy on 07/30/10 09:00am

There are many different opinions about the difference between a Class 8 Truck converted to tow a 5th wheel. If it were my choice only I would be in a Class 8. However we found a Freightliner with 50,000 miles on the clock and it had been upfitted with everything needed to pull a 5th wheel. Its very hard to find a pre-owned Class 8 Truck with low miles.

The only issue with the Class 8 Truck is passenger seating? Most Class 8 Trucks will have a sleeper compartment and only two doors. The plus of a sleeper compartment is when traveling you don't have to go to RV parks. You can park almost any place and sleep in the Truck.

We are extremely pleased with our Freightliner, it has done everything it was designed to do. The ride is awesome, no steel suspension pick-up truck will ever have the ride of the full air ride system Trucks. And I never have to worry about being over weight. Good Luck on you research. GBY...

P.S. I'm a firm beliver in that you can have to much trailer but never to much Truck.

2012 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW's LTZ ******Traded******
Trailer Saver Air Ride (SOLD) (Sold)

2010 Mobile Suites 38 RSSB 3, with vanity slide (SOLD)

"Montana" our Sweet Furr Kid
12/21/10 "RIP" miss you!!

We are BLESSED!!!!

Posted By: Jay Pat on 07/30/10 10:42am

Before you buy a HDT.....What requirements to register as RV? Great group of people on Escapees, HDT forum and lots of knowledge.
Pat

2010 Ford F-350 SRW
2011 Keystone, Sprinter 310

Posted By: hone eagle on 07/30/10 11:04am

HTD in Canada

Here's one in Swift Current all converted and ready to go.Already resistered as a motor home

2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
maxbrake controller

Posted By: cwill925 on 07/30/10 11:06am

There are good used MDT’s out there. I picked up my ‘06 Freightliner M2-112 Sportchassis with only 32,000 miles for $74k (US$). I mounted a Trailersaver TSLB-2H air ride hitch in the back and hit the road.

Check out http://www.truckpaper.com/ and http://www.workingtruckworld.com/ or http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/home/searchtrucks.asp even http://www.2lcustomtrucks.com/ perhaps http://www.neelycoble.com/inventory.aspx?trucktype=Trail-Hauler or http://www.wil-ro.com/content/trucks_availabl/hauler_trucks_.asp just to name a few sites for uesd and new tow vehicles ready to roll without the hassel of conversion.

2008 Fuzion 362
2006 Freightliner M2-112 Sportchassis
2 Harley's, 1 Suzuki Scooter, 1 Smart Car

Posted By: TankerDude on 07/30/10 03:14pm

If you're thinking about getting a HDT for towing, why stay with a large 5'er that will require the HDT have some work done on it.
Get one of these to go with the HDT.

Posted By: curt12914 on 07/30/10 03:23pm

There are several people on here that are using HDT's for towing. You might want to PM professor95, who uses a Volvo and has a video from the driver's seat of his truck.

I would love to try an HDT. I have a CDL and have driven Class 8 trucks all my adult life. I have no doubts about the HDT being safer and never wearing out. A large fifth wheel isn't much different than towing an empty commercial trailer (as far as weight).

One of the things I would worry about with an HDT is the physical size. Sometimes, it's a problem parking a one ton, crew cab dually, especially if it involves a parking garage. I just can't imagine using the HDT for sightseeing.

As with everything, there are pros and cons.

05 Ford F-350 Lariat CC 4X4 PSD DRW Line X Retrax
02 Montana Big Sky 3295 RK (2) Honda EU2000is
When my grown kids were inspecting our new fifth wheel, one asked why we bought a trailer that sleeps 4. My reply was that we couldn't find one that sleeps 2!

Posted By: 02super250 on 07/30/10 06:06pm

Here's one for you all ready to go
http://www.rvnetwork.com/index.php?showtopic=85401

2011 F350 Lariat 4x4 CC DRW Powerstroke 3:73,LineX,Duraflaps on all four corners,BAK Flip F1.
2011 Keystone Alpine 3640RL

Posted By: plainsman48 on 07/30/10 08:11pm

The 40 Teton that we've been eyeing lately would require a Class 6 to legally pull it. Personally I prefer an NPR - 4 door model with a long flat bed to handle the air compressor and extra fuel tank. Then re-positioning the exhaust over the top.

Brett - deceased 4/11/2011
His step-brother Capt. Abraham Quasuittuq suffered a stroke and died 4/19/2011

Posted By: C Schomer on 07/30/10 08:46pm

It's hard to find a MDT with much more power than a late diesel P/U so I plan to find a HDT when I retire and turn it into what I want. When I was trucking almost everything had 2 sticks so I'll probably have to learn to drive a girly truck some day! Craig

03Dodge QC HO 5.9 Dually NV5600, 4.1 Rear WD, PS 62/65/14 turbo, TST/PMCR, 4" exh, PRXB Pacbrake, Rancho 9000s, FS Airbags, Onboard air/in-cab controls, Custom hauler bed. 2008 Sunnybrook 30RKFS-LTD Our 3rd SB 5er. WHOEVER INVENTED WORK DIDN'T HAVE AN RV!

Posted By: RobertRyan on 08/01/10 05:17am

Quote:

Hino is, and has been, sold in North America for several years. My son-in-law had one a couple years ago.

A local guy has been towing with an Isuzu for several years.

Hino has been sold as a Conventional truck in the US, not a COE like the NPR and NQR. All Hino's are COE's in Australia. Hino actively competes against Isuzu in the Light/Medium truck markets. All Japanese HDT's(None sold in the US) are gaining some market share in Australia. The Australian built/ designed US owned Kenworth is in a head to head tussle with Volvo COE and the conventional Mack . Both Volvo and Mack are assembled and modified in the same Wacol factory in Queensland for the Australian market.
US Hino all Conventional light/medium trucks
Australian Hino all COE's plus a HDT/HYBRID

Posted By: curt12914 on 08/01/10 04:47am

Hino is, and has been, sold in North America for several years. My son-in-law had one a couple years ago.

A local guy has been towing with an Isuzu for several years.

Posted By: bstark on 07/30/10 09:03pm

I went the route of ordering a new cab-chassis International back in 03 so that I could have a custom Harley barn and toter body built to haul a harley Ultra along with our 38' Mobile Suites, worked like a charm, BUT, if doing it again today, I'd go the used, fleet maintained, Volvo or Peterbilt with the "work-station" sleeper that has a removable table and something like dinette seating that can be made into a large double bed or just use the upper bunk that folds up out of the way for travel. They can be converted easily and registered as M/H that removes any of the 'commercial' reg's. There are many available with Autoshift transmissions which still require a clutch for starting off and stopping only or even an Ultraline or Freedomline tranny that is a full automatic with just the fuel and brake pedals on the floor.

The real beauty of these things is they care little about the weight they'll be towing and even singled (one of the tandem rear axles removed) they can be equipped to carry a small car up on the rear of the truck and still tow a huge fiver getting very near the economy any of the new pick-ups are getting with their emissions requirements.

I've met and count among my friends many of the folks using an HDT and from talking with them and performing my comparisons I've come to the conclusion this is the best towing bang for the buck out there!

Used MDT's in nice condition that haven't been used by expiditer's, soda pop deliveries or livestock haulers and driven 24/7 with either short haul stop and go inner city duty or curry dinners being cooked in the cab are rare indeed and will cost roughly double what you'd pay for a good clean class 8.

For those interested parties who peruse the Escapee's forum as suggested earlier, scroll even further down to the Rigs for Sale site and you'll find some good offerings on there as well.

* This post was edited 07/31/10 09:25am by bstark *

Today is just the tomorrow you worried about yesterday!

Posted By: StirCrazy on 07/31/10 09:41am

mkirsch wrote:

Why does the MDT have to be new, but the HDT can have the better part of half a million miles on it?

because I can find a billion used HDT's but barly any MTD's and the MTD's used cost more still.

Steve

Posted By: StirCrazy on 07/31/10 09:51am

hone eagle wrote:

HTD in Canada

Here's one in Swift Current all converted and ready to go.Already resistered as a motor home

Do you know that it is already registered as a motor home? as it doesnt say that. the only problem is will BC reconize that when I try to re register it here? this is what I am trying to find out how to do it in BC. I think I have decided on a volvo 770 or 780 is the other issue with buying something premade.

I have been reading that escape club for two days now haha
I have found how to do it in the US, but they have no real info for Canada aside from getting insurance in manatoba or ontario, but I haven't found anything on BC.

As for seating this was the other reason to go HTD over MTD, I can get a nice 77" sleeper install 4 bucket seats in the back of it and 6 adults can sit comfterably for a 8 hour trip. in MTD you still only sit 2 maybe 3 adults in the back and they will have less than 1/2 the leg room. we also have a golden retriver so with 4 seats in the back of the HDT he would still have a tone of room. the final point about the MTD is you are stuck with a normal one tone truck diesel, there are a few options but for the most part. if you go with the kodiac you get a duramax and thats it, sportscassies are no longer being made. I can get a 770Volvo class 8 for anywhere between 8-25K instead of the 75 to 130K for a used mtd.

Steve

* This post was edited 07/31/10 09:58am by StirCrazy *

Posted By: MadMav on 07/31/10 10:47am

plainsman48 wrote:

The 40 Teton that we've been eyeing lately would require a Class 6 to legally pull it. Personally I prefer an NPR - 4 door model with a long flat bed to handle the air compressor and extra fuel tank. Then re-positioning the exhaust over the top.

Actually most class 4 and 5 trucks(F450/F550, 4500/5500s) are rated for the max 24K gross that the Tetons are at.

Mav

"A fifth wheel trailer is a bi-level towable mobile home."

Posted By: bstark on 07/31/10 04:24pm

Stir Crazy: While I agree with most of your post I resectfully disagree on the engine and other stuff as that of a 1 ton being used by a "true" MDT. Classes 5 & 6 trucks of other manufacturer's will not be using a pick-up engine! My international for example was a straight 6 - 8.7 litre engine with 310HP and 960 Ft/Lbs with a ten speed tranny and full air brakes among a host of other stuff found only on MDT/HDT trucks. You cannot lump the International 4400, Freightliner M2, 102, 112, Kenworth T300 or Peterbilt 440's in with the Chev, Ford or Dodge 450/4500, 550/5500 series of trucks, they are not the same things at all. Mine was a class 6 rated to tow 34,000lbs and scaled loaded with the Harley Ultra and 200 gals. of fuel tools, genny, etc at 17,600lbs bobtail. going down the road at over 36,000lbs combined is not something I'd want to do with a Duramax, Ford or Dodge.

The International 530/570 engines for instance will create peak torque as low as 1300 RPM and are rev limited to 2200 RPM's which is very unlike the Duramax or Ford, much higher reving, short stroke V8's. Their engine B50 rating under hard service (life expectancy) is roughly 4 times that of their smaller brethren under normal service.

Lots to consider, but adding all the other stuff like a built in air compressor capable of 135PSI at 13CFM, an onboard 2000 watt invertor being possible with 3 huge batteries as standard equipment or even the dump feature of the air suspension making it possible to drop your butt 6" to get out from under or visa versa, makes the prospect of dropping 60K on a new P/U with it's inherent limitations something to really think twice about.

Posted By: plainsman48 on 07/31/10 06:27pm

MadMav wrote:

plainsman48 wrote:

Actually most class 4 and 5 trucks(F450/F550, 4500/5500s) are rated for the max 24K gross that the Tetons are at.

Mav

Right now my truck is a class 4 (Dodge 1.5T - not de-tuned, Eaton 6 sp and 19.5 tires) and I have a problem with the present trailer. It's a safety factor that I'd feel more comfortable with a class 6 (Cummins 8.3)

Posted By: plainsman48 on 07/31/10 06:35pm

bstark wrote:

Stir Crazy: While I agree with most of your post I resectfully disagree on the engine and other stuff as that of a 1 ton being used by a "true" MDT. Classes 5 & 6 trucks of other manufacturer's will not be using a pick-up engine!

I fully agree - my truck choice is a class 6 with a Cummins 8.3 engine, Roadranger tranny and 19.5" tires. But if I can't find one of those, there are plenty of landscaper type trucks available at reasonable prices.Which is why I'm looking at the NPR/NQR - HD Isuzu trucks with 441# torque. With the flatbed, I can add my compressor and long range fuel tank. The 40' Teton will fit neatly behind it and we won't have the air resistance.

There's another thing about a Class 8 VN series - make sure it doesn't have a Volvo engine in it. If you thought Mercedes engine parts were expensive, Volvo is far worse. I love the trucks, but hate those engines.

Posted By: bstark on 07/31/10 08:31pm

It won't be long before we start seeing some of the Pro-Stars showing up as well to give the Volvo's some company in the trailer parks. So far they've been collecting a good rep' with drivers liking them, maintenance costs staying down and they would make a nice attractive conversion.

Posted By: RobertRyan on 07/31/10 08:36pm

Quote:

You would be puffing with that 40ft Teton attached. The NPR would be OK, possibly for a 30ft 5ver. The NPR and NQR are classified here in Australia as light trucks. We tend to use the heavier Isuzu mediums or even the HDT Isuzu(not available in the US/Canada)

Posted By: MadMav on 07/31/10 08:52pm

plainsman48 wrote:

MadMav wrote:

plainsman48 wrote:

Mav

Right now my truck is a class 4 (Dodge 1.5T - not de-tuned, Eaton 6 sp and 19.5 tires) and I have a problem with the present trailer. It's a safety factor that I'd feel more comfortable with a class 6 (Cummins 8.3)

Not sure how that is possible. I have a 1 ton Dodge towing 19.5K trailer/28K GCVW at 6000-12000ft altitude with no problems at all. This is with 3.73 gears and no tuner. Even with severe towing problems with the trailer(rear multiple posts in toy hauler section) the truck does well.

But...if you don't feel comfortable, then I understand an upgrade. But it isn't a legal thing, it's a personal thing.

Mav

Posted By: RobertRyan on 07/31/10 11:17pm

Stircrazy wrote:

instead of the 75 to 130K for a used mtd.

Surprising a larger Isuzu/Hino here with say 40,000K will go for car prices AUD $30,000-50,000

A family pulling a 34ft 5ver with a small Hino.In their blog they wished they had the 4X4 version of the Hino for dirt roads.

Posted By: StirCrazy on 07/31/10 11:31pm

RobertRyan wrote:

Stircrazy wrote:

instead of the 75 to 130K for a used mtd.

Surprising a larger Isuzu/Hino here with say 40,000K will go for car prices AUD $30,000-50,000

A family pulling a 34ft 5ver with a small Hino.In their blog they wished they had the 4X4 version of the Hino for dirt roads.

but the shipping and importing fees would kill me haha. as for looks, there a funny little thing, not for me at all.

Steve

Posted By: StirCrazy on 08/01/10 12:00am

bstark wrote:

Stir Crazy: While I agree with most of your post I resectfully disagree on the engine and other stuff as that of a 1 ton being used by a "true" MDT. Classes 5 & 6 trucks of other manufacturer's will not be using a pick-up engine! My international for example was a straight 6 - 8.7 litre engine with 310HP and 960 Ft/Lbs with a ten speed tranny and full air brakes among a host of other stuff found only on MDT/HDT trucks. You cannot lump the International 4400, Freightliner M2, 102, 112, Kenworth T300 or Peterbilt 440's in with the Chev, Ford or Dodge 450/4500, 550/5500 series of trucks, they are not the same things at all. .

no not the same but classed as MDTs still. I agree you can get a sports chassie or m2 ect. with better motors but the price is more also. I was just looking around for 130 you get a new sports chasse with out a deck (actualy on sale for 99.9 right now.) these are two years old new so 08 models. now for an example you mention the power output in your international was 310/960 take my 3/4 ton for eg, it is 390/800 but it is a 7.3 which realy was an industreal motor put into a truck and it isn't stock. now i know the transmition is a big differance also and yes where the peek torque comes on is a differance if it isn't setup for where you do most of your towing.

but even thoes don't compare to say volvo's 550/2300 motor, or some of the higher output cummings. I originaly wanted a cat, but they no longer make over the road engines as they refuse to redesign to meet emmissions. my theory is by going with a class 8, I can haul a 20000lb trailer and it will be the same as running two flatdecks empty. so very little wear and tear on the truck, also the other advantage is i can put 4 captians chairs along the back of the sleeper with room to spare. so my kids can both bring two friends camping. then they will still have about 3 feet of leg room where the dog can curl up. can't do that in a MDT. so to simplify my choice for a HTD over a MTD, more power, higher towing/payload capacity (even if singled), more space for family, less maintenance when used in our capacity and overall much cheeper, the cons are only two doors more hight (but seeing as the 5th we want is about 13foot tall it is a non issue for me) and also the work you have to do to change them from a comercial truck to a toy hauler.

the more I reed the more I think the HDT is the way to go. now to bad I can't find the BC regs on line for switching them over. I guess I will have to go to ICBC tuesday and see what they know.

Steve

Posted By: RobertRyan on 08/01/10 12:28am

Quote:

but the shipping and importing fees would kill me haha. as for looks, there a funny little thing, not for me at all.

Basically it is a light truck, not a MDT, Small?? 16,500lb GVWR and 24,000lb GCWR. MDT's also go for car prices as well.
http://www.hino.com.au/Models_300_Landing.aspx?TabID=3
The Hino MDT's are very unstressed 8.8 Litre units with 330hp 800lbs ft of torque, bit behind the Isuzu's

* This post was edited 08/01/10 12:45am by RobertRyan *

Posted By: tnance on 08/01/10 06:11am

While pulling a 24K Teton with an F450/F550, 4500/5500 might be legal or under the ratings it will not be an enjoyable experience.

I personally know of at least two dozen individuals that pull large Tetons, 24K+. None of which pull the trailer with an F450/F550, 4500/5500 pickups. All use converted class 7’s or class 8’s . Most learned the hard way.

Plainsman48, you will not be happy with an NPR-4

Do yourself a favor and go to Escapeess MDT and HDT Forums. You will find case after case of trying to pull a heavy trailer with too little of a truck.

2005 Freightliner M2 106 class 7 HDT
2004 Teton Sunrise Grand
Jeep Wrangler toad

...PICTURES...

Posted By: plainsman48 on 08/01/10 06:50am

MadMav wrote:

plainsman48 wrote:

MadMav wrote:

plainsman48 wrote:

Mav

Not sure how that is possible. I have a 1 ton Dodge towing 19.5K trailer/28K GCVW at 6000-12000ft altitude with no problems at all. This is with 3.73 gears and no tuner. Even with severe towing problems with the trailer(rear multiple posts in toy hauler section) the truck does well.

But...if you don't feel comfortable, then I understand an upgrade. But it isn't a legal thing, it's a personal thing.

Mav

My trailer is 16k empty and when the draft horses are in there 24.5k, so I don't feel it stable.

Posted By: plainsman48 on 08/01/10 06:51am

tnance wrote:

While pulling a 24K Teton with an F450/F550, 4500/5500 might be legal or under the ratings it will not be an enjoyable experience.

I personally know of at least two dozen individuals that pull large Tetons, 24K+. None of which pull the trailer with an F450/F550, 4500/5500 pickups. All use converted class 7’s or class 8’s . Most learned the hard way.

Plainsman48, you will not be happy with an NPR-4

Do yourself a favor and go to Escapeess MDT and HDT Forums. You will find case after case of trying to pull a heavy trailer with too little of a truck.

I've driven the NQR on several occasions - and it seems safe enough. My regular truck is a Mack COE with a 48-ft bison trailer.

Posted By: plainsman48 on 08/01/10 06:54am

StirCrazy wrote:

I originaly wanted a cat, but they no longer make over the road engines as they refuse to redesign to meet emmissions.
Steve

That's not the reason - CAT made so few over the road truck engines, it wasn't in the grand plan anymore. Their strength is in mining equipment which is their primary money maker.

Posted By: ib516 on 08/01/10 06:58am

Here's a link you may want to check out - Calgary based outfit.

http://www.rvhaulers.ca/ Their specialty is selling converted class 8 trucks (many of them Volvos).
Their FAQ section will answer some questions you have.

* This post was edited 08/01/10 07:08am by ib516 *

2010 Cougar 322QBS 5er
2001 Dodge 2500 Quad, 4x4, 360 gas, 4.10, auto - SOLD
2002 Dodge 2500 Quad, 4x4, 5.9L CTD, 3.55, auto - SOLD
2007 Dodge 3500 SRW Mega, 4x4, 5.9L CTD, 3.73, auto - SOLD
2014 RAM 2500 Crew Cab, 4x4, 6.4L Hemi, 4.10, 66RFE auto
- on order

Posted By: plainsman48 on 08/01/10 07:31am

Sorry don't want a Volvo engine. It's bad enuf that my beloved Mack is owned by Volvo. Great truck, krappy engine and too expensive to repair.

Robert: You're right, I re-checked the NQR website - and that won't do either - still light medium duty. I just may keep the COE and use that instead. Or find another COE.

Posted By: StirCrazy on 08/01/10 09:16am

plainsman48 wrote:

StirCrazy wrote:

I originaly wanted a cat, but they no longer make over the road engines as they refuse to redesign to meet emmissions.
Steve

That's not the reason - CAT made so few over the road truck engines, it wasn't in the grand plan anymore. Their strength is in mining equipment which is their primary money maker.

which is esentialy what I said. to expensive to redesigne there over the road for what they would get out of it.

what do you have against volvo engines? and why

Steve

Posted By: MadMav on 08/01/10 10:23am

plainsman48 wrote:

My trailer is 16k empty and when the draft horses are in there 24.5k, so I don't feel it stable.

Well no wonder! You have a moving load back there..........alot of them! I have towed hourse trailers before and they do feel like half full non-baffled water trailers......but always moving, not just when turning. Good luck.

Mav

Posted By: bstark on 08/01/10 01:25pm

Stir Crazy; you're on the right track with the converted HDT. Towing trailers in the neighbourhood of 20,000lbs and up just isn't as pleasurable as it should be with anything under the class 6 and markedly 'easier' with anything above class 6.
Costs: Really depends on what degree of sophistication you desire, if converting and reducing to class 7 (single rear axle), that part of the equation can very often be revenue neutral as some places will perform the axle drop and give you credit for the wheels/tires/power devider axle which offsets the labour costs of the drop.

Interior mod's to subscribe to your DMV motorhome requirements can be accomplished as simply as adding a porta potty and wiring in a dedicated 115v oulet but looking at pictures of the common Volvo 610 you'll notice a drawer in the cabinet behind the seat that allows for the installation of a small sink with drain to a small holding tank, your choice if you want to use a 12v pump or the older style hand pump sink taps. adding a small fresh water storage tank and an equal size grey tank is a cake-walk on these things. An invertor added with the large battery bank that comes with the truck will often allow you to run 120v stuff like a microwave, coffee perk or TV.

Summation: Your locale may have a list of 7 items of which 4 or 5 are required to gain elligibility for Mo/Ho status. sleeping accomodations, cooking, onboard washing, potty, dedicated 120v source, seating with safety belts, among others that are characteristic of your state/province. All of them can be accomplished cheaply or you can go all out, it's your choice.

There are enough folks who've already done this and catalogued their experience/methods with labelled resource threads on the Esapee's forum so as to make this a walk in the park for anyone comtemplating such a move.

There is also an individual in the P/Q, Canada who has located and evaluated various trucks posted for sale being retired from fleet duties that he subjects to a rigorous inspection process before he gives you the thumbs-up. He has flown to all points of the U.S. and Canada to perform this function and to date has nothing but a string of satisfied cutomers behind him. PM me for details.

I would like to see this column grow in popularity so that enough of you here on RV.Net finally break the idiotic barrier "bigger than a P-U is overkill" nonsense once and for all.

Posted By: RobertRyan on 08/01/10 02:33pm

Stircrazy wrote:

My regular truck is a Mack COE with a 48-ft bison trailer

Something like this, when they were owned by Renault with a Renault Engine?

Posted By: blackf3504dr on 08/01/10 02:34pm

It seems everyone has focused on the pulling power of the HDTs and although that is a strong reason to go that route no one has mentioned the stopping power.... There's no way any pick up (or MDT) is going to stop as quick or as safe as a HDT conversion.

Mom , Dad , Scooter & K.C ( killer cat )
'96 F350 4dr. Dually, 7.3 5sp.
'92 Holiday Rambler 34'
REAL TRUCKS DON'T HAVE SPARKPLUGS !

Posted By: hjsdds on 08/01/10 03:21pm

Let's talk basic economics gentlemen. Total cost of this conversion was just over $50K (truck and body)

Total cost of this conversion, about the same.

Total cost of this conversion was around $75K

And this is my truck, I have $55K invested in the truck and body.

How do I know what these did cost, I was involved in designing and building all of them.
And just to prove that I have "other prior experience" I did pull that forty footer with one of these.

The V-10 would pull it OK but it used to scare the******out of me everytime I needed to stop. And I did own one of these to pull my 36 footer prior to the HDT and the forty foot Royals. Since the MDT was "gasping" with the 36 footer, I figured 40 footer and another 8,000 pounds was gonna give it a heart attack.

So, the bottom line is. There are no good MDTs for conversions on the used truck market. Trucking companies do not order them with Cummins 8.3s or International 570s. They go for the low end stuff because that's what they need to deliver, beer, toilet paper, newspapers, bottled water and move snow around. So in order to get a "decent MDT" you are fishing in the conversion market and they got everybody "convinced" that $100K is actually a "good price". That being said it makes a $75K a "good price" for a used converted MDT. That's not what it's worth, that's what the previous owner needs to get to pay off the bank note he originally took out to buy it at over $100K. Give me a $75K and I will convert 2 HDTs for you (maybe not as fancy as ones above) but certainly as functional as any MDT. Yes, they will have 4-500,000 miles on them and will not have that new leather smell, but with the money saved you can certainly "detail" them into that condition. And with half a million miles they are barely "broken in".
You will not have to think how fast you will go up the hill (as fast as you dare in overdrive) and whether the transmission fluid or the stack temp is going to glow things in the dark. And there are thousands of them available, any year, any model, any mileage, several makes.
Want to learn everything about them, come over to the HDT forum on escapees and join the discussion. My call sign on that forum is the same as this one.

Oh by the way, that HDT of mine doesn't care if I have any brakes on that 40 footer (I do, air over hydraulic) or not.

hjs

Posted By: Dennis M M on 08/01/10 03:40pm

We've been towing with the Volvo for six years and there is no way either of us would go back to using anything else! Our fiver weighs in right around 18k loaded for travel (GVWR 20k) and the Volvo tows it with ease.

We bought the Volvo in 2004, and built a deck for a smart car in the spring of 2006. The Volvo was fine for use when we were camped on vacation type trips, only recall one place we could not get to due to size. Now that we are extended travelers it is nice to have the smart car along. We don't bother to unload it for one or two night stops though, just use the Volvo.

As far as the HDT goes: ours is registered in Illinois as a motor home; in Illinois (and most states) you need a class A (or equivalent) license, CDL is not required for a privately owned RV.

The Volvo is very quiet, quieter than our Dodge 1500 was. With triple air - suspension, cab, seats - the ride is very good.

Maintenance has not been an issue, ours is a 1999 and 600k on it when we bought it. Like any used truck there have been some repair issues, but repairs are surprisingly reasonable. Regular maintenance can be done by any good truck stop. Volvo dealers are plentiful and very easy to work with in our experience. Over six years we have averaged just less than $3,000 per year for maintenance and repairs.

Along with the pulling power and the superior braking capability, the advantages of good vision from the high seating position is seldom mentioned. Another often overlooked advantage is range on a tank of fuel. We carry 300 gallons and usually get 9 to 9.5 MPG while towing. That means we can easily go 2,000 miles between fuel stops. Two advantages to that: 1 - we can pick our fuel stops based on price, sometimes I might refuel before I'm half a tank down, other times I'll run it over 2k miles. 2 - we were surprised how much shorter it makes a familiar trip when you don't have to stop for fuel every few hundred miles!

Not that I recommend it, and we rarely do it anymore, but 500, 600, even 700 miles in a day is easily doable. Last winter we were in Tucson and a family member had a health issue in Florida. We left Tucson at 8 AM on a Friday morning, spent one night in a campground in Tx and one in a Cracker Barrel in LA, and were just north of Tampa, FL at 9:30 PM Sunday.

I have also made fairly quick cross country trips bob-tail, using the sleeper in truck stops or rest areas. Works out well.

In short - we love our HDT and highly recommend it for safety, comfort, and convenience.

'99 Volvo VNL610 - 425 HP Volvo; Super 10 Spd
'11 smart fortwo on Volvo
'05 Newmar Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
Trailer Saver; Bigfoot; Pressure-Pro.
Our Travel Blog - A New Adventure

Posted By: Ray H on 08/01/10 04:13pm

I switched to an HDT almost 3 years ago. Just wish I had all the dollars back I spent trying to get 1 ton duallys to make the cut. I pull a large toy hauler with a Smart Car inside. A lot of my decision was based on the safety factor of the HDT but other considerations were comfort, power and stress. With air ride rear suspension, air ride front suspension, air ride cab, air ride seats, and air ride Trailer-Saver hitch, I just float down the road on cruise control. With a six position Jake Brake, even 16 mile long 6 & 7% downgrades are not even exciting anymore. Going up that same grade is 70 MPH on cruise control and not even breathing hard. I've owned/towed with duallys by Ford, Chevy and Dodge. My HDT gets better fuel mileage towing than any one of the three P/Us and I carry 250 gallons of diesel. I even have to check the mirror every once in a while to make sure the trailer is still back there. Wheel cut is another benefit at 50 degrees when compared to the P/Us at approx 40 degrees. For us guys, one big additional benefit to keep in mind, is the cab is wide enough so that the wife can't hit you without getting out of her seat.

What you tow with is based on many things and has to be a personal decision. I chose to go the HDT route but then again, I don't have a parking/storage issue which can be a major factor for some folks. What ever your choice, drive safely and enjoy the experience.

Ray

2004 Volvo VNL-670 Cummins ISX 500hp/1650tq, 10sp Eaton Autoshift, TrailerSaver 32000# Air Hitch, 250 Gal Fuel.
2010 Raptor Velocity RP361LEV Toy Hauler.
2009 Smart Fourtwo Passion Coupe (travels in the toy-hauler)

Posted By: hdonlybob on 08/01/10 08:36pm

I have been towing/hauling things since I was about (8) years old on the farm, and never towed anything that didn't push me around. (now 66)
Have pulled Travel Trailers, 5'er's etc. with cars, 1/2-3/4- and larger trucks.....same answer....Also, always uncomfortable in the hills and mountains with potential breaking issues.
Have had sufficient power, but never total control.....
Fast forward....two years ago I bought a 2001 Volvo 610 w/Cummins 425hp/1600 torque.....
Just moved back to WI from West Virgina, and this HDT stuff is unbeleivable.....Ran the WV 7% grades at 62mph on cruise. Never shifted. Down the other side...three stage Jake...rarely used the brakes...
Maybe not for everyone, but after about 35,000 trouble free miles, it "Just don't get no better"
I can park in town anywhere a dually can. Only problem, as stated in earlier post's is height. Need to adjust to that quickly.
Also, as Henry speaks, I have less than $25K invested in my Volvo, including hitch and bike lift. (I did build it all myself.) It is regestered as an RV, and has bunk beds, micro waive, refrig, porta poty, sink, invertor, generator, shore power, and 19" flat screen TV.
I also carry (42) gallons of extra water on the back.
I consistantly get 9-10 mpg, and it rides like a coach....
Geesh...am I giving the impression that I like it?????
As said, not for everyone, but you really should try one out before tossing the idea in the trash.
Cheers,
Bob
">

Posted By: Perrysburg Dodgeboy on 08/03/10 09:46am

StirCrazy wrote:

I may be mistaken but everything I have read said class 4 to 6 are MDT and class 7 and 8 or HDT as a class 7 is just a class 8 with one axel removed.
You should do some more reading start here note that any MDT can come with single axles OR multiple axles. Also note that a class 8 is a MDT not a HDT! HDT are class 9 and up.

as with anything else there are ranges, saying a f450 or f550 is not a mdt is a load of you know what, they are just on the lighter end of the range, where the international sportschassie is the higher end of the range. at anyrate a mtd pulling a trailer of 20000lbs still won't have as much braking power as an hdt pulling the same weight, but it will be better than the 1 tome truck.

OK I don't understand what this hang up on braking power is all about! Truck brakes and this means ALL truck brakes no mater the class are designed to stop the truck NOT the trailer/load! From the 3/4 ton (note ton not tome) to the mighty class 12 HDT and everything in between. Why do you think all trailers over 2,000# must have brakes and be equipped with a breakaway system? Trailer brakes are design to stop the load rating of the trailer so the tow vehicle does not have to.

Steve

On Sunday Jan. 26,2014 Toledo Fire department lost two Hero's in a fire.
God Speed Privates Stephen Machcinski and James Dickman. We will take it form here my Brothers.

Posted By: Bearman on 08/01/10 09:12pm

StirCrazy wrote:

hone eagle wrote:

HTD in Canada

Do you know that it is already registered as a motor home? as it doesnt say that. the only problem is will BC reconize that when I try to re register it here? this is what I am trying to find out how to do it in BC. I think I have decided on a volvo 770 or 780 is the other issue with buying something premade.

I have been reading that escape club for two days now haha
I have found how to do it in the US, but they have no real info for Canada aside from getting insurance in manatoba or ontario, but I haven't found anything on BC.

As for seating this was the other reason to go HTD over MTD, I can get a nice 77" sleeper install 4 bucket seats in the back of it and 6 adults can sit comfterably for a 8 hour trip. in MTD you still only sit 2 maybe 3 adults in the back and they will have less than 1/2 the leg room. we also have a golden retriver so with 4 seats in the back of the HDT he would still have a tone of room. the final point about the MTD is you are stuck with a normal one tone truck diesel, there are a few options but for the most part. if you go with the kodiac you get a duramax and thats it, sportscassies are no longer being made. I can get a 770Volvo class 8 for anywhere between 8-25K instead of the 75 to 130K for a used mtd.

Steve

I don't know if it is registerd as a motor home. I am not, just registerd as a straight truck, just like a private pickup. If it only has 2 axles you are leagel with a class 5. Between the truck, trailer and Jeep, 400 gal of fresh water and both quads I am just about 46,000 lbs and have never had a problem. Over 4 years with this rig and still love it.

* This post was last edited 08/01/10 09:32pm by Bearman *

2000 Volvo 660 425hp 1550tq
2006 Canadian Sport 385 RLTS triple slide, triple axle
5500 watt Onan genny
03 700 Polaris Sportsman
98 300 Polaris Explorer 4X4
94 Jeep YJ "TOAD"

Posted By: ol Bombero-JC on 08/02/10 02:37am

HDT's *are* the ultimate tow vehicle/s!

Word to the wise about Escapees forums:
For those that take the invite to join the HDT discussion/s -

Mr. & Mrs. Administrator over there are extremely "touchy"!

RV Net - if there's a post or comment the Mods or Admin aren't happy with, it will be modified or removed.
Consider your hand slapped!

Over there YOU are . . *GONE*! - In a little vapor cloud . . . Poof!

Sooooo - mind your P's and Q's - or you will join "Larry Z" in never-never land!

~

JC

Posted By: Dennis M M on 08/02/10 07:29am

That is exactly what makes the Escapee's forums so enjoyable - no flaming, very little arguing, just intelligent, polite discussions and a lot of good information on all RVing subjects.

Posted By: bstark on 08/02/10 07:45am

ol Bombero-JC: I have to agree with Dennis on that issue. They have rules to prevent Commercial Advertising and obvious to and fro slanging matches, but in the years I've perused the MDT & HDT forums the needs for the moderators to jump on anyone have been very limited indeed due to the civility of it's members. For the most part, while they (we) feel strongly about our particular reasons for using anything larger than a pick-up to tow heavier trailers, the live and let live, each to his own, freedom of choice is highly respected as well.

For those interested in asking questions about the building of, or their licensing and registration, or anything else you might wish to know related to these beasties, you should feel free to jump in and post away.

Keeping this thread alive is a good thing for the informational aspect.

Posted By: HavaRaptor on 08/02/10 08:14am

Dennis M M wrote:

That is exactly what makes the Escapee's forums so enjoyable - no flaming, very little arguing, just intelligent, polite discussions and a lot of good information on all RVing subjects.

And there are a lot of nice folks over there!!

2005 Newmar Kountry Star
2000 Kenworth T2K
2008 Ford F250 4X4 Diesel
2012 Can Am Commander X
2008 Can Am Outlander 650XT
2012 Can Am Outlander 1000XT

Posted By: overw8chevy on 08/02/10 09:13am

I've watched this thread with interest.

heckuva way to pull a big fiver...

like somebody sed, you won't even know its back there..LOL

Posted By: cwill925 on 08/02/10 10:58am

blackf3504dr wrote:

It seems everyone has focused on the pulling power of the HDTs and although that is a strong reason to go that route no one has mentioned the stopping power.... There's no way any pick up (or MDT) is going to stop as quick or as safe as a HDT conversion.

I have to disagree with that statement. I lost the brakes on my Fuzion and the only way I knew it was the fault code on the brake controller. The Freightliner M2-112 (MDT) I have does a great job stopping the rig without trailer brakes.

Posted By: Delaine and Lindy on 08/02/10 11:17am

Chuck, I agree the Freighliners MDT's do a fine job in handling our Mobile Suites. Pulled the Suites several hundred miles with no bakes on the Suites. The Freightliner had a bid Air valve and trailer brakes didn't work.

But you will know you have a Trailer behind almost any Truck, if its a larger 5th wheel. If you will take your time you can find good buys on MDT's. They are expensive but most want have a half million miles on them.

Lot of people confuse the Beer/Coke hauling Trucks with the upgraded Freightliners that have been upgraded. There is no comparision between the two.

Its a choice a person has to make. And yes there a hundreds of HDT's on the market. I would look for companies that lease their Trucks and turn them in at something over 450,000. A Trucking company that I worked for leased them Peterbilts, Freightliners, and Volvos and turned them in at 450,000. I would look for the HDT's with less than 500,000 miles on the clock. The drive trains aren't a issue its the other components that you will have issues. Good luck with your choice. GBY...

Posted By: sandblast on 08/02/10 11:28am

As Havaraptor says, there are a lot of nice people over there.

Mr. Jack Mayer and his wife Danielle invited my wife and I
to visit and inspect there rig and ask all the questions we could think of.
Unfortunately we were not able to accept at that time.

He has a very informative and inclusive web site that will answer a whole bunch of things.

Oh! Did I say, we have never even met! My contact with him is only
thru E-mail. Thanks Jack

Ed Phillips

Posted By: ol Bombero-JC on 08/02/10 01:04pm

Dennis M M wrote:

Agree with *most* of the above.

But - you left out (*no*) politics!

"Cheap political shots" are OK and tolerated - if it's the *Right* way! ("Right" is right!)

One of the well-respected RV Net members uttered the word "Green" (as a joke) over there in a thread he started.

YIKES!
Must be "one of those" intellectuals! - - Down in flames!
Stuck up for him = Goodbye!

Clicky: Goes "South" at about post 16

Think two of us (one for sure, LOL!) who "took issue" received the bums rush. (Thanks, Escapees!)
Posts deleted (no record of them in post "number sequence").
At least one of us "banished". (Forget what the other posters ID was).

Newby? Troll? Agitator?
Not!
Over 1300 "flawless" posts!

Transgression?
Using the slang term for bull droppings, with a dollar sign for the "s" in that word.
OK to go political - but no such slang permitted.

Double standard?
A term (an illegitimate child) is directed at individuals from time to time - without any "covert" spelling.

Surprsingly - a new *less* tolerant admin/mod style seems to be emerging at the end of 2010.
Actually closed some threads that drifted into political debate!

~

Here - politics *not* acceptable, removed. ("Bi-partisan" enforcement!)

There, *YOU* are removed! (banished, locked-out).

Yes - if you say your mea-culpas to the admins, along with appropriate lip-service you *might* be accepted for re-admission.
Point out their obvious bias (favoritism) - adios for sure!

Already *owning* a HDT also helps on the HDT forum.
Non-HDT owners may be LDT interlopers.

~

10-9jc = banished to Devil's Island.

~

* This post was last edited 12/28/10 12:31pm by ol Bombero-JC *

Posted By: RobertRyan on 08/02/10 05:21pm

Quote:

I would look for the HDT's with less than 500,000 miles on the clock. The drive trains aren't a issue its the other components that you will have issues. Good luck with your choice. GBY...

They tend to sell Trucks with rebuilt engines very cheaply here, although mechanically the rest of it is very good.A non-rebuilt Hino 8 Litre MDT with 75,000 original miles and a IVECO Stralis 14 Litre 505hp HDT with 288,000 original miles: both go for AUD $50,000. Reconditioned engined HDT's will go for about 15-20,000.

Posted By: bstark on 08/02/10 06:43pm

I have to agree with the MDT braking points made above. I never had any issues bringing my fiver to a stop with full air brakes and over 5" wide brakes shoes! My truck weighed 17,600lbs going down the road so the RV was not going to push it around. I never once had a situation arise where the ABS kicked in either.

Posted By: davelinde on 08/02/10 08:28pm

First trip and we are loving ours!

Of all the changes... the length is a bit to deal with though

I also miss my 4WD for wet hills/grass

Still... noted - 200 gallons of fuel and 1700 mile range is nice. The cab is comfy and roomy. The pulling power is awesome.

I'll warn you all... 2 years ago I was reading RV.net threads on HDT's and went over to Escapees to get info. Now I'm driving one. You've been warned.

Dave Lindemulder
Tammy, Mark & Kirsten
04 Dodge 2500 4x4 SLT QC/SB HO-CTD/48RE
01 Volvo VNL660 singled VED12
09 Heartland Cyclone 3210

Posted By: hjsdds on 08/02/10 09:08pm

MDT will stop (with an RV) much better than a pickup.
Pickup (F-350) is a class 3 vehicle designed for 14,000 pounds of GVWR
The "phony" MDTs (F-450 and F-550) are basically glorified pickups with few additional gizmos and idiotically high rear ends (over 5.0) so that they can claim the these are class 4 and class 5 vehicles with 16,000 and 19,500 weight ratings respectively.
MDTs are either class 6 or class 7 vehicles with GVWR ratings of 26,000 pounds and 33,000 pounds. To meet those ratings they have to have brakes capable of stopping those weights. The reason they ride so rough is because they also need to have springs and suspension capable of supporting those weights.
HDTs are a class 8 vehicles designed for 80,000 lbs of tractor trailer combination. When truckers weigh their rigs they are getting "nervous" when the trailer "nudges" past 60,000 pounds (overweight possibility and big fines). That's why pulling 20,000 or even 25,000 lbs fifth with an HDT is an "non event".

hjs

Posted By: doznfire on 08/03/10 08:36am

another vote for an HDT! lol.... We are however getting rid of this one and downsizing..

www.RallyontheRocks.com

Posted By: StirCrazy on 08/03/10 09:05am

hjsdds wrote:

class 4 and class 5 vehicles with 16,000 and 19,500 weight ratings respectively.
MDTs are either class 6 or class 7 vehicles with GVWR ratings of 26,000 pounds and 33,000 pounds.
HDTs are a class 8 vehicles designed for 80,000 lbs of tractor

hjs

I may be mistaken but everything I have read said class 4 to 6 are MDT and class 7 and 8 or HDT as a class 7 is just a class 8 with one axel removed.

as with anything else there are ranges, saying a f450 or f550 is not a mdt is a load of you know what, they are just on the lighter end of the range, where the international sportschassie is the higher end of the range. at anyrate a mtd pulling a trailer of 20000lbs still won't have as much braking power as an hdt pulling the same weight, but it will be better than the 1 tome truck.

Steve

Posted By: bstark on 08/03/10 11:31am

Steve: it's a common discussion on the stopping ability of these trucks versus their smaller brethren and I grant you in a perfect world, the brakes of trailers are 'supposed' to stop the trailer.

We also must not ignore; if using them for a comparison, that trailer brakes as fitted to commercial rigs are fail-safe designed to activate if there are any faults within the system. They are also designed and fitted to handle the full GVW rating of the trailer. Not so for the RV counterpart. Up until the last few years the only brakes availabe were the ten inch diameter 2" wide shoe magnet type regardless of the trailer size and it was common for heavier triple axle trailers to only have brakes on two of those axles. The industry gave a rat's patooty about your ability to stop safely as long as they provided you with anything called "brakes". Any faults in the RV trailer braking other than a complete break-away and you're on your own bud.

I doubt there is any government or other certified institution that subjects RV trailers to routine testing as typicly optioned up for sale to the public. I have never read about a test anywhere that adequately "verifies" the trailer brakes are "designed to stop the trailer" as that trailer comes from the factory with "aLL" of it's available options and also perhaps a full hot water tank, batteries, full propane, typical load out and some tankage load on board. Those of us with experience towing these things will tell you that just one little fault in that magnet braking system degrades the braking performance remarkably.

All too often the RV industry is guilty of sending these things out the door with 14 guage wiring from the truck to the magnets and then installing the cross-over wires internally in the axles for them to rub and erode to the point that intermittant grounding shorts are frequent along with shorts also occurring frequently on the pass through hole of the wiring through the brake backer plate for just two of the inherant faults.

Towing a heavier trailer say in the neighbourhood of 16,000lbs with ANY pick-up and having any of these faults in your trailer braking system is a recipe for disaster whereas it becomes a non-event with one of these larger trucks.

I have also followed fivers down a long steep grade and smelled them often enough to know that a heavier fiver being towed by a pick-up is no fun to take on a long downhill jaunt. The brakes are there and working as advertised but they're marginal at best.

The comparison of the commercial truck having brakes designed to stop it is a valid point but must also factor in the typical weight of, say, my MDT full GVWR making those brakes designed to stop far more than what the truck actually weighs being used for RV duty. Add to that the true engine brake as fitted to these commercial rigs and you'll find the trailer brakes will not be tasked anywhere near their limited design parameters.

Some of the HDT's even utilize the as-fitted trailer brake air supply to operate a conversion device such as a "Blue-Dot" to activate the trailers hydraulic discs.

* This post was edited 08/03/10 11:43am by bstark *

Posted By: blt2ski on 08/03/10 11:45am

I have never heard of a class 9 truck, class 7 if towing trailers over the 50K gvwr range is an HDT, if a straight truck with 2 total axels, is a MDT, class 4-7 are considered MDT's, heavier hauling 7's and 8's with tandems are HDT's. LDTs are typicaly pickups, not including the 450/550 pickups ford pops out, or GM was for a bit too.

Marty

05 Chev CC D/A LS Dooley

92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
00 Chev C2500, V5700, 4L80E, 4.10, base truck, no options!
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer
3 Single axle utility trailers

Check RV.Net Blogs at: blog.rv.net

Posted By: Jim-Linda on 08/03/10 12:54pm

The statement that until recently triple axle trailers may only have brakes on 2 axles doesn't follow my experience. I have had 3 axle trailers since 1991 and All axles had brakes. Can you post an example of units you are referring to?

Jim

Posted By: rowekmr on 08/03/10 01:42pm

I was just wondering what is the advantage for removing one of the rear axles on a HDT for towing RV trailers? I assume its a lot of work and the only upside I could see is less rolling resistant but you lose contact area for brakes. Don't some HDT have the capacity to lock the two rear axles for low traction situations?

03 Ford Excursion Ltd 6.0L ARP studs/HG, 6.4L banjo bolts, blue spring mod, coolant filter, K&N CAI, turbo back exhaust, IDP tunes, SCT Livewire
00 Acura RL
08 Jayco 31 BHDS G2
96 Regal 258 Commodore

Posted By: StirCrazy on 08/03/10 01:42pm

Perrysburg Dodgeboy wrote:

You should do some more reading start here note that any MDT can come with single axles OR multiple axles. Also note that a class 8 is a MDT not a HDT! HDT are class 9 and up.

OK I don't understand what this hang up on braking power is all about! Truck brakes and this means ALL truck brakes no mater the class are designed to stop the truck NOT the trailer/load! From the 3/4 ton (note ton not tome) to the mighty class 12 HDT and everything in between. Why do you think all trailers over 2,000# must have brakes and be equipped with a breakaway system? Trailer brakes are design to stop the load rating of the trailer so the tow vehicle does not have to.

well a volvo 780 is a class 8, what is a class 9 then? never heard of a class 9. your link even only goes to class 8, I read it did you?

as for the breaking ability trailer brakes suck at the best, your not going to tell me my F250 SD can stop in the same distance with my 8000lb trailer behind it than I can with out it, simple fact is trailer breaks help but you will still be using some of the truck breaking power to stop the trailer. I notice it even when I have my brake controler cranked to max.

but that also only part of it. I have an exhaust break in my truck and I can maintain speed and even slow a tiny bit on a grade 6 hill, but on a grade 8 I slowly speed up. a HDT will have a 3 stage engine brake which means in most situations you won't even touch your breaks, which will also greatly increase the life of both your truck and trailer brakes.

Steve

Posted By: curt12914 on 08/03/10 03:47pm

If you have never towed a heavy (50K or more) trailer with an HDT, you might not realize the difference in braking ability of a trailer with REAL (air activated "S cam" brakes) verses the inadequate electric braking systems on the RV trailers most of us tow.

The reason the HDT (truck only) brakes so mch better is it weighs so much more than a 1 ton pickup. Most Class 8 trucks are twice as heavy as a pickup.

rowekmr,
There are several reasons for "singling" (removing one axle) from a Class 8 tractor. One is that it simply is not needed and it saves the cost of 4 (very expensive) tires and keeping up another axle, but the biggest reason is for traction. Just like a dually pickup has less traction than a SRW pickup (weighing the same), a tandem axle tractor has less psi (I'm not talking about air pressure, but the amount of weight per square inch of tire contacting the ground) on it's tires than a single axle. The same goes for braking; more psi, more braking power.

If you have ever seen a "bobtail" tractor on a slippery road, you can realize how little traction they have.

bstark,
I agree with most of your statement about braking except that 12" (not 10") x 2" brakes have been around for years and I have never seen an RV that didn't have brakes on all axles. I'm not saying there weren't a few, but I, personally, have never seen one. I have seen utility trailers that did not have brakes on all axles, but never an RV.

Posted By: bstark on 08/03/10 03:56pm

I'm doing some quick back pedalling here on the triple axle brake thing as I was speaking from utility trailer, flat deck, car haulers experience and "assuming' the carry-over into RV duty. Shouldn't have been generic. My points on the inadequacies of brakes normally fitted to RV's unless optioned up with hydraulic discs are still valid IMO.

Posted By: tnance on 08/03/10 06:31pm

I too have never heard of class 9. Here is a link.

Class 7 and class 8 trucks are HDT's.
The common ground is both have to have air brakes.

http://changingears.com/rv-sec-tow-vehicles-classes.shtml

Posted By: plainsman48 on 08/03/10 07:05pm

RobertRyan wrote:

Stircrazy wrote:

My regular truck is a Mack COE with a 48-ft bison trailer

Something like this, when they were owned by Renault with a Renault Engine?

Nope, before that - when they had 350hp Mack engines.

Posted By: plainsman48 on 08/03/10 07:19pm

tnance wrote:

I too have never heard of class 9. Here is a link.

Class 7 and class 8 trucks are HDT's.
The common ground is both have to have air brakes.

http://changingears.com/rv-sec-tow-vehicles-classes.shtml

Never ever heard of a Class 9 - been driving since 1960's. I've hauled over 133,000lbs legally in Wyoming once or twice - maybe you haven't seen one of those big mining shovels - pulled it with a Class 8 Mack, 350 hp.

Posted By: curt12914 on 08/03/10 08:44pm

Quote:

....pulled it with a Class 8 Mack, 350 hp.

Just thinking of old times. Remember whan that was a big engine??? Then Cat came out with the 425 and that was huge. Now 600+....

It seem like the diesel pickups aren't the only ones in horsepower wars!!!!

Posted By: bstark on 08/04/10 02:51pm

When still in the Navy and taking weekend passes to go up-island; used to have a regular ride with a guy hauling freight with a Mack COE tandem with the splitter gear boxes. I used to sit and watch him shift that thing with his arm through the steering wheel, steering with the inside of his elbow and working those two shift levers with both hands like he was stirring a big vat of soup while negotiating the Malahat Hwy on Vancouver Island with probably no more than 200 HP.

Posted By: hjsdds on 08/04/10 04:33pm

Those are the kinds of RV axles you can expect to find on trailers in Australia.

The discussion of axles and brakes in RVs (particularly pull and fifth wheels) can be opened with a three word statement:
"It's all garbage"!!!!!!!!
Why it's garbage? Because they can't peddle their rigs overseas with those brakes.
If you pull anything over 10,000 lbs with a pickup, you must have working fifth brakes. As someone pointed out LDT truck brakes alone are not enough to stop the weight of the trailer too.
So you are starting with garbage, which is all connected with a 14 (if you are lucky) gauge wires, spliced with 10 cents insulation piercing connectors, exposed to dirt, grime and New England salt. Then you try to make the whole thing work with a brake controller, which was made in China, which you bought for sixty nine ninety five.
Life is good, we're gonna go camping and run the mountain passes. Surely, Lord has posted an Angel on my shoulder.
I've been RVing for over 35 years, pulled with pickups for over two decades, had one brake failure and three brake controller failures in those years, almost bought the farm on two occasions and only experience saved my bacon on all four occasions. I figured that meeting the Lord Almighty in the big RV Lot in the sky was not something I wanted to experience (at least not yet) hence I switched first to an MDT and then to HDT.
Unfortunately wisdom only comes with age, the pickup "phase" of my life was expensive (4 pickups). And if you divide that number into the years they didn't last that long, usually by 100,000 miles they were junk ready for my teen age sons and their newly minted driver permits.

hjs

* This post was edited 08/05/10 12:07pm by hjsdds *

Posted By: StirCrazy on 08/04/10 08:58pm

bstark wrote:

When still in the Navy

how long ago was that, I just retired from there last fall.

Steve

Posted By: HavaRaptor on 08/05/10 08:56am

Still trying to find on of them thar class 9s

Posted By: hjsdds on 08/05/10 11:57am

HavaRaptor wrote:

Havaraptor, don't look too hard it could be a search for a Holy Grail.
I believe the class 9 info was obtained by a research method known as "goosing butterflies" (grabbed out of the thin air).

hjs

Posted By: bstark on 08/05/10 04:57pm

In answer to Stir Crazy: Steve my hitch was for seven years to get the ERA training in Naden and got out after completeing the apprenticeship when Paul Hellyer amalgamated the services which opened up all of our contracts. 1966

I think the "butterfly gooser" may be confusing classes with litre's of displacement, mayhaps??? An innocent enough mistake when one considers all of the 'bumpf' printed about all of these vehicles.

* This post was edited 08/05/10 05:04pm by bstark *

Posted By: hjsdds on 08/05/10 05:51pm

Google "truck classes by weight" and you'll get pages of the stuff, no need to "goose the butterflies".
Classes 1 though 5 are reserved for pickups and "glorified pickups"
1 = 1/2 ton
2 = 3/4 ton
3 = 1 ton
4 = 1 1/2 ton (F-450)
5 = 2 ton (F-550)

Classes 5 through 8 are truly commercial trucks where you get real brakes, real transmissions, real load carrying.
No need for "chipping", for "Banks accessories", aftermarket turbo, suspension kits, breather kits, exhaust kits, transmission tweeks, etc., etc., etc. money pit, money pit, money pit.

But the RV salesman is not gonna tell you that when you show up to pick up your 38 footer. Their job is not to disperse "wisdom", their job is to exploit ignorance and sell, sell, sell.
And now Ford and Chevy started a new HP war. I expect to see a Ford commercial where their pickup is used to move a house from one location to another.

hjs

* This post was edited 08/05/10 06:21pm by hjsdds *

Posted By: StirCrazy on 08/05/10 06:28pm

bstark wrote:

In answer to Stir Crazy: Steve my hitch was for seven years to get the ERA training in Naden and got out after completeing the apprenticeship when Paul Hellyer amalgamated the services which opened up all of our contracts. 1966

ahh, so you were under the old aprentisship program. I was a stoker myself and know a few of the older lads that started out in that program.

Steve

Posted By: buta4 on 08/05/10 08:17pm

I'm not sure of the prices but a couple of these might fit your needs??

(WARNING: High Drool Factor)

MD/HD Haulers

Ray

Posted By: StirCrazy on 08/06/10 09:48am

buta4 wrote:

I'm not sure of the prices but a couple of these might fit your needs??

(WARNING: High Drool Factor)

MD/HD Haulers

pricing on thoes is about 139000.00 and up. way to expensive.

Steve

Posted By: hjsdds on 08/06/10 09:55am

For $139,000 I cand build three of these

with a bike garage and hoist.

They'll go up the hill much faster, drooling around them is allowed and you'll have enough dowry left to marry off your daughter.
If you spend $139,000 on one of those "droolers", you'll have to tell her, "Honey, we are having the wedding in the public park but I will bring you to the park in a hell of a limousine".

hjs

* This post was last edited 08/06/10 11:42am by hjsdds *

Posted By: cwill925 on 08/06/10 10:44am

HavaRaptor wrote:

Maybe this is a class 9???

Take the bed off, mount a TralierSaver hitch and nothing will stand in your way.

Posted By: 2oldman on 08/06/10 10:55am

I have often drooled over these until I imagine myself trying to park one along with my 34' 5er in an old National forest campground.

Posted By: mowermech on 08/06/10 11:10am

to the OP: (note: turn cynical sarcasm detector to full ON)
But,... But... YOU live in CANADA! EVERYBODY knows that if you live in SNOW COUNTRY you simply can not LIVE without FOUR WHEEL DRIVE!!!
Where are you going to find a 4X4 Class 8 tractor, without spending incredible amounts of money to have a conversion kit installed?
(cynical sarcasm detector OFF now)

* This post was edited 08/07/10 10:14am by mowermech *

CM1, USN (RET)
2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32V, Ford V10
Toad: '06 PT Cruiser, Kar Kaddy dolly
Toy (may become a toad): 2001 Dodge QC SWB, 360 Magnum, Auto, 4X4
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Posted By: hjsdds on 08/06/10 03:21pm

mowermech wrote:

But,... But... YOU live in CANADA! EVERYBODY knows that if you live in SNOW COUNTRY you simply can not LIVE without FOUR WHEEL DRIVE!!!
Where are you going to find a 4X4 Class 8 tractor, without spending incredible amounts of money to have a conversion kit installed?

Mowermech, the idea is to use one of these to GET OUT OF THE SNOW COUNTRY AND NOT COME BACK UNTIL IT DOES NOT RESEMBLE THE SNOW COUNTRY.
I timed it wrong one time and tried to get out of the SNOW COUNTRY through a blizzard (pulling a fifth). Until I broke into a more southern climate I must have called myself an idiot 10 times every mile and more often on on and off ramps and while braking.

hjs

Posted By: StirCrazy on 08/06/10 08:26pm

mowermech wrote:

you know something funny.. last year the city bought one of them funny looking trucks with a big blade on the front and something in the back that chucks damn sand at my window.

seriously though, I haven't had a 4 wheel fdrive in 6 years now and don't miss it one bit.

Steve

Posted By: StirCrazy on 08/06/10 08:28pm

so I got an e-mail from ICBC today and sent another one back for more clairafication, as acording to them, any truck with a fith wheel or gooseneck hitch on it is comercial and has to be registered that way. so I sent them an e-mail asking if that applies to comercial hitches as well as rv hitches. cuz if it does a whole lot of us are paying way to little in insurance.

Steve

Posted By: bstark on 08/06/10 09:10pm

You got your demons working at the gubment insurance office out there and we got ours working at the MTO here in Ontario with the stupid 4600Kg rule deeming the truck "commercial". Stupid cretins might as well write the law this way: "if it's white, bigger than a bread box and has wheels, it's commercial"! A 45' Prevost pusher with three times the footprint and sponsorship decals all over it gets a get-out-of-jail-free card and nary a glance from those retards in the little white cars with the green stripes.

Gads: don't get me started!

At least they (MTO) recognize and accept the Mo/Ho designation here with a few stipulated mods. to the class 8, then the individual insurance carriers have no problem writing paper for it.

Mowermech: vividly recall the time I climbed a hill with my little piece of crud "went back to college" Envoy Epic with the trunk full of sand for traction and those teeny narrow tires while weaving my way through a bunch of 4X4's that thought their trucks would handle a mix of snow and glare ice. The looks on their faces was priceless as I drove over the crest and off into the distance.

Posted By: StirCrazy on 08/06/10 10:14pm

bstark wrote:

You got your demons working at the gubment insurance office out there and we got ours working at the MTO here in Ontario with the stupid 4600Kg rule deeming the truck "commercial". Stupid cretins might as well write the law this way: "if it's white, bigger than a bread box and has wheels, it's commercial"! A 45' Prevost pusher with three times the footprint and sponsorship decals all over it gets a get-out-of-jail-free card and nary a glance from those retards in the little white cars with the green stripes.

well here is the funny thing. I just checked the reg on my F250 and it states comercial. all my friends trucks say comercial. so this is realy weird now. haveing the truck comercial may not be a stumbling block as long as I insure it for personal use only. and can drive it with a class 5 with air, and don't have to stop at scales.

hmm a whole new batch of questions to ask them now. I'll wait till I get the reply from ly last e-mail first. might answer everythign with the pictures of what I want to do I included in it.

Steve

Posted By: tnance on 08/07/10 04:58am

2oldman wrote:

I have often drooled over these until I imagine myself trying to park one along with my 34' 5er in an old National forest campground.

My Freightliner is shorter than my old Ford pickup. With a 55 degree front wheel cut it is easy to put my 36 foot fifth wheel in National Forest campgrounds. Been doing it for years.

mowermech

Many people don’t know but you can order an M2 with multiple powered axles. When I toured the M2 Freightliner factory in North Carolina they had just completed a six axle M2 112. The front two axles were steerable. All six axles were driven. The GVWR was in excess of 100,000 lbs.

As far as cost is concerned if you build your own truck bed like I did the total cost is not much more than a new F450.

Posted By: mowermech on 08/07/10 10:15am

mowermech wrote:

There! I added "smileys".
Maybe some folks will get it easier now.

Posted By: StirCrazy on 08/07/10 10:18am

mowermech wrote:

mowermech wrote:

There! I added "smileys".
Maybe some folks will get it easier now.

we all got it, it just wasn't that funny

Steve

Posted By: hjsdds on 08/07/10 10:41am

Oh my Canadian friends, as one of my former Presidents used to say,
"I feel your pain".
My HDT is registered in New Hamphire as a Motor Home by the virtue that it has:
1. Shore Power (I use it to keep truck batteries charged when it sits and it powers outlets inside the cab for "whatever")
2. Microwave (meets the requirement for "cooking ability")
3. Fridge (good to have under any circumstances)
4. Porta Potty (meets the requirement for toilet. It's never used, I hate the thought of emptying and cleaning it)

hjs

* This post was edited 08/08/10 11:09am by an administrator/moderator *

Posted By: bstark on 08/07/10 03:55pm

Henry; those requirements for modifications up here are I believe a list of seven items that you must have 5 of or some such stuff. It's pretty easy to satisfy the boobs especially when they make such a fuss over all of these requirements and then don't even get off their fat butts to inspect your truck after you install all this stuff! I guess it's not hard to tell they aren't my favourite bunch of petty beuraucrats.

Some have said they should have just walked out the door when they were handed the list then came back in another entrance after putting check marks in the boxes beside a bunch of the items. Haaaar!

Posted By: hjsdds on 08/08/10 05:34pm

Sink with water supply (and grey water storage) is the fifth requirement. I'm not sure what the remaining two are, I have head of a separate air conditioning unit and sleeping accomodations..................Anybody knows?
The two bunks in a 770 are super to sleep two adults very comfortably an I'm sure they could accomodate at least half a dozen illegal aliens not so comfortably.

hjs

Posted By: Dennis M M on 08/08/10 06:32pm

The requirements in Illinois:
"A motor home, mini-motor home, or van camper displaying Recreational Vehicle (RV) license plates must contain at least four of the following six equipment items: 1) a cooking facility with an on-board fuel source; 2) a gas or electric refrigerator; 3) a toilet with exterior evacuation; 4) a heating or air conditioning system with an on-board power or fuel source separate from the vehicle engine; 5) a drinkable water supply system that includes at least a sink, a faucet, and a water tank with a an exterior service supply connection; 6) a 110-15 volt electric power supply.

When I registered our Volvo I simply told the clerk in the Secretary of States office that it was an over the road tractor converted to a motor home. I was fully prepared for an inspection, but there was none. Walked out with it registered as a "Volvo Motor Home"

Posted By: curt12914 on 08/08/10 08:29pm

I have another question about a Class 8 being used as a tow vehicle for a fifth wheel. I have seen a few rigs that have not been "singled" converted to a single drive axle (including HavaRaptor and professor95, who regularly post on here). Have any of you switched from duals to single rear wheels and kept the tandem drive axles?

For those of you that kept the tandems, do you see disadvantages to not singling?

Posted By: gdoily on 08/09/10 01:35pm

Do you HDT'rs run your big engine when parked overnight without shore power to run A/c's in hot weather, or is the generator and house A/C adequate to keep the sleeper cool? Seems like I have seen both in rest areas - engines on high idle and generators running (mostly on company trucks).

I own a converted bus because it is built to be driven comercially and handles so well. For same reason, would be all over the HDT if we were going the 5th wheel route. Great idea.

Posted By: hjsdds on 08/09/10 04:25pm

curt12914 wrote:

I have another question about a Class 8 being used as a tow vehicle for a fifth wheel. I have seen a few rigs that have not been "singled" converted to a single drive axle (including HavaRaptor and professor95, who regularly post on here). Have any of you switched from duals to single rear wheels and kept the tandem drive axles?

For those of you that kept the tandems, do you see disadvantages to not singling?

You pay more at tolls for an extra axle. Couple of people "talked" about running dual axles with 4 tires intead of 8, don't know if the ever did it.
The new trend is to leave them dual to be able to do things like this.

or a bike, or a golf cart or a big storage. You single and lots of these options go away.

hjs

Posted By: hjsdds on 08/09/10 04:35pm

gdoily wrote:

Do you HDT'rs run your big engine when parked overnight without shore power to run A/c's in hot weather, or is the generator and house A/C adequate to keep the sleeper cool? Seems like I have seen both in rest areas - engines on high idle and generators running (mostly on company trucks).

I own a converted bus because it is built to be driven comercially and handles so well. For same reason, would be all over the HDT if we were going the 5th wheel route. Great idea.

We don't run the engine to have the AC when stopped, lots of states made it illegal. HDTs have a separate condenser unit in the rear of the cab, therefore running both (front and rear) you can chill the cab quite a bit down and it will stay comfortable into the night.
I hardly ever feel uncomfortable traveling, particularly in the winter in the south. I am so happy to be away from snow, ice, shoveling, snow blowing, plowing, salting, wood burning, oil burning and host of other idiotic activities which contribute nothing to the quality of my life that a little "heat discomfort" in the middle of February is actually a welcome thing.

hjs

Posted By: plainsman48 on 08/09/10 07:03pm

cwill925 wrote:

HavaRaptor wrote:

Maybe this is a class 9???

Nope - the hitch is waaay too high to connect!

Posted By: plainsman48 on 08/09/10 07:10pm

gdoily wrote:

Do you HDT'rs run your big engine when parked overnight without shore power to run A/c's in hot weather, or is the generator and house A/C adequate to keep the sleeper cool? Seems like I have seen both in rest areas - engines on high idle and generators running (mostly on company trucks)

I have an APU unit that runs all night long on a couple of gallons of diesel.

On my COE, the first axle has duals and the second axle has super singles. The 53 trailer has super singles.

* This post was edited 08/10/10 06:59pm by plainsman48 *

Posted By: hjsdds on 08/18/10 10:31pm

HTD - Contagious desease, no known cure in existence at the moment.

More commonly known as "Heavy Truck Disease" or "Heavy Truck Disorder"
Symptoms can vary from mild to severe.
Sufferers with mild symptom will have tendency to spend hours looking at Truck Paper or TruckPaper.com.
Those in more advanced stages will talk to truckers at truck stops; hang out in truck stop lounges and book anniversary dinners in truck stop diners.
Those with severe case can only find “relief” by purchasing an HDT.
Purchasing an HDT to help a sufferer can have curious side effects. For instance those with ED report that their need for Viagra or Cialis abated significantly. It seems that the vibration through the chassis of the 450HP 1650 ft.-lb. engine spurs hormone and testosterone production and allows the HDT owners to perform their spousal duties with lesser or none need for the above drugs.

hjs

Posted By: Dtank on 01/27/11 02:23pm

Dennis M M wrote:

Hmmmmm . . more into reading than posting.
Long time lurker - here and "there".

I like the idea of an HDT for towing a long & heavy trailer - sooooo
been following along on "that other forum".

Considered joining ("over there") so I could ask some questions of the HDT owners.

However, I see (like someone said here) folks seem to "dissapear" to the gulags faster than a Russian saying,
"What do ya know Joe?" - after WWII -

"Honest Comrade NKVD . . . I didn't mean Mr. Stalin. I just heard the Americansky GIs saying that."

The "regulars" are gone, names are changed - with postings from the original names gone and/or "modified" - - even the Administrator makes a plea for "civility" - and then his post and thread disappears!

Must be the men in black! -

I checked the members list - surprising how many have joined . . . but have no (zero) posts or just one or two.

So - I thought better of joining - might just grab my "readers" instead of rose colored glasses - and post something "out of sorts" - never to be seen or heard from again!

Finally - the Q:
(Yes - - I *do* have my "readers" on)
I reside in Northern California - travel the state on business, soon to retire.

Has anyone licensed an HDT in CA?
Difficulties?

Thanks for any help you may be able to provide (short of moving, LOL!)

D-Tank

Posted By: ol Bombero-JC on 01/28/11 12:28pm

~
"dtank" - I like the "gulag" comparison/analogy! -

I'm gonna guess you saw my post on page- *six* (6) -of this thread, LOL!
(Started on page 5 - it's 5th post on page six).

I don't have an HDT (either), and have considered it - if I were to go to a heavier trailer.
Even made it to 1372 posts over there with nary a glitch, until . . .

~

Ah well . . .
Not all that bad in Siberia!
Rumor has it the old town around Chernobyl is filling up fast with
"ex-pats" from "the other forum".
(Ghillie - are you there?)
Anyway . . everybody glows in the dark. . .

Moral of the story (if there is one):
Lots of nice people over there on the HDT forum. Lots of good info too.
They need a BODF section ("Birds of Different Feathers") for the folks that like to grab the most innocuous remark as a political "opportunity".

Soooo - - if you go there beware of the quicksand!

Walk softly and *don't* carry a big (or any) stick . . . . 'cause the Admin has one and he will indiscriminately poke you in the eye (or somewhere else) with it at the slightest provocation!

Good guys finish last!

~

BTW, tank - you might want to start a new thread (here) with your question.

Good luck, tread very, very lightly if you "go there", LOL!

JC

~

* This post was last edited 01/30/11 12:04pm by ol Bombero-JC *

Posted By: Gemstone on 01/28/11 12:59pm

"Has anyone licensed an HDT in CA? Difficulties?"....

I believe several have done so, and take part in the Escapees forum...you'll probably get more valid info regarding your question there...but I do recall reading of difficulties encountered in the process.
Just for a point of reference should you be interested...South Dakota will register the HDT as non-commercial, in a heartbeat...allowing the user to operate the rig...with no special SD driver's license.

Regards
Gemstone

'06 Elite Suites TK3, '95 KW T-600, '04 Dyna Low Rider, '06 Softail Deuce

Posted By: MaxspeedGSX1300R on 01/28/11 05:50pm

http://www.hayabusa.org/forum/attachment........5026-ok-i-jumped-off-deep-end-now-z2.jpg

I will be painting the truck to match the camper in the spring.. Look around and you can if your lucky find a good deal. This 4400 International tractor with HT530 turbo diesel motor with 10 speed standard transmission with 75,000 miles on it i bought for $9000. You can't buy a pickup that can pull a toy hauler that empty weighs 12300 pounds with a gvw of 18000 pounds at that price...

2003 International 8500 with HT530 diesel and 10 speed standard, 2006 38' Coachman Adrenaline fifth wheel toy hauler, 2000 Suzuki Hayabusa GSX1300R, 2008 Suzuki B-King, 2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250S
Take it to the limit!

Posted By: MaxspeedGSX1300R on 01/28/11 05:51pm

Print  |  Close